Atsuko Kagari, more commonly known by her nickname Akko and Valkyrie title Kara, is the main protagonist of Little Witch Academia: Witches of Midgard.
Personality & CharacterEdit
Akko was born in an unspecified location in Japan. She is from a family without magical lineage. When she was six years old, her parents brought her to Shiny Chariot's magic show. Amazed and inspired by the show, she wished to become a witch someday just like Shiny Chariot. During her childhood she tried several times to fly in broom, only to fail and get hurt, receiving the ridicule of the other children. However, Akko always kept her dream of one day becoming a witch. She became a great fan of Chariot, collecting all her cards and her merchandise.
In order to achieve her dream, Akko learned that the Luna Nova Academy, the school from which Chariot graduated, was accepting students without magic inheritance and managed to enroll there with her mother's help, despite her total ignorance of magic. Upon admitted at Luna Nova, Akko was assigned to be roommates with Lotte and Sucy whom she form close friendship with. Her education in Luna Nova However, marks the beginning of adventures she will take with her friends and mentor Ursula, started from the day when she uncovered missing Shiny Rod. After enduring hardship over the course of the quest for Grand Triskellion, World Altering Magic, Akko finally met Chariot, who turned out to be Ursula herself, and with her guidance, enable her and her friends to restore magic back to Midgard.
Few days prior to the events of Little Witch Academia: Witches of Midgard, Akko received a letter from her mother, Yumi Kagari who, for some reasons, inquired both her and Ursula to meet her at Glastonbury Tor. When they did, the mother, the daughter, and the teacher had a conversation where to both Akko and Ursula's surprise, Yumi revealed that she knew Ursula once had an older sister named Elizabeth du Nord who believed to be perished along with the rest of her family at the sea in their ill-fated sea voyage when she was very young. Yume further revealed that Elizabeth is actually still alive, adopted by Kagari family who found her at Japanese shoreline before concluded her story by stating that she and Elizabeth are same person, along with the proof in form of her possession of an old photo of her and young Ursula smiling. Surprised at first, both student and teacher were overjoyed that they related all along, especially Akko who discovered that her mentor and idol turned out to be an aunt she never knew to have until that point. Since then, the already strong bond between both Akko and Ursula become inseparable.
Akko is best described as an excitable, impulsive, reckless, optimistic, energetic, and short-tempered girl. Due to her great determination, she is always up for a challenge, even if it seems too difficult for her. As Akko is very social, kind, and truly compassionate, people are often drawn to her happy disposition. Her peerless compassion, coupled with her selflessness and determination, allowed her to gain so many friends and allies as well as earning respect from her rivals. The loyalty that was created from her compassion was strong that Akko's teacher and childhood idol, Chariot Du Nord, sacrificed her own magical abilities to protect her student and Diana willing to give up her childhood treasure if that meant Akko stays at Luna Nova. Diana admits to Akko that these traits of hers makes her envious, but also appreciates and cares for and concludes that Akko's beliefs is the one and only true path that can save the magical world, which evident with the fact that Shiny Rod came to her. After the quest for Words, Akko since become matured, though remains volatile, reckless, and impulsive at times.
Skills & AbilitiesEdit
- Magic: Having recovered from Dream Fuel Spirit's effects, Akko finally able to improve her magical skills and even able to fly with her broom.
- Animal Transformation Spell: It is mentioned that Akko at first terrible in Animal Transformation Spell, but finally improved it through hours of training that the spell become one of her signature ability. By becoming different animals, Akko is able to take advantage of their different qualities for certain situations.
- Heat Blast Spell: Akko can project energy bolts as basic offensive attack.
- Object Control Magic: Akko can move objects without touching them with her wand to a certain extent.
- Object Repairing Spell & Super Object Repairing Spell: With Ursula's titulege, Akko was able to learn to repair objects with magic and later to repair larger objects.
- Flame Magic: Akko possesses remarkable skills in manipulate flames for variety of purposes.
- Flying Spell: Akko's broom flying ability recently improves in spite of initially unable to fly at all, but her overall flight skill still pale compared to her peers'.
- Illumination Spell: Akko can generate light from tip of her wand to illuminate area like flashlight.
- Opening Spell: Akko can magically opens any door, window, cage or asegurated object.
- Energy Propulsion Spell: Akko can project stream of magic energy from the tip of her wand to either knock items away with magic stream's concussive force or propel herself like a rocket.
- Weapon-Wand Fusion Spell: Akko can combine her wand with a weapon to upgrade the said weapon into better version of it. She uses this to activate her Valkyrie Blade's combat capabilities.
- Skilled Combatant: Following training sessions with Biri Biri and Newt, Akko become fairly skilled in Thapolian Martial Arts. Her fighting style described to be offensive one.
- Archery: Akko possesses impressive skill in archery as seen when she fires Shiny Arc with impressive accuracy. She can also fire magic arrows from bow form of her Valkyrie Blade as well as using its blades for melee combat. This skill is very useful as her armor more specialized in archery combat.
- Axe Proficiency: Akko possesses average skill in using axe form of her Valkyrie Blade.
- Aim Dodging: In addition to martial arts skills, Akko can swiftly evade attacks and projectiles fluidly from her training session with Ursula. Though not as graceful as Diana's, it's still impressive in her own right.
Tools & EquipmentEdit
- Magic Broom: Broom with magical powers that allowing the witch to fly riding it.
- Shiny Rod (formerly): A powerful staff that has amazing yet unknwon abilities. Although Akko is initially unable to use it at will, she was able to use it in moments of great importance in response to her feelings, managing to revive the Seven Words of Arcturus. It can transform into a bow and create an arrow from thin air. She also managed to transform it into a great axe to launch a frontal attack and a grappling hook, a mixing machine and a flying broom. After breaking the seal of Grand Triskellion, the Shiny Rod merged with the Grand Triskellion, allowing it to access its powerful world reconstruction magic. Akko eventually loses the Shiny Rod after she used it to help spread magic throughout the world, allowing it to disappear into the stars. The staff frequently mentioned in the series.
- Magic Wand: Akko carries a wand as instrument to cast magic. By combining it with her Valkyrie Blade, it enable her to cast magic with the said blade and turn it into either bladed bow or greataxe forms.
- Valkyrie Blade: Traditional weapon of Valkyries which can be activated by magically combine it with a magic wand. Akko can change her Valkyrie Blade into three kinds of weapon where they have matching color schemes with her Valkyrie Armor at will:
- Bow Form: Akko's initial choice of her Valkyrie Blade's signature weapon form takes appearance of Shiny Rod's bow form with red and white coloration as opposed of beige and yellow albeit lacking orbs. Similar with Shiny Arc, the bow can fire destructive magical arrows out of thin air albeit pale in comparison. Even so, Akko only accessed this form twice; the first time was against Elder Erik and his Mega Apollyon and the last during her training session.
- Bladed Bow Form: To get around the fact that her initial Valkyrie Blade's bow form ill-suited for close quarters and its Great Axe form less effective against fast-moving opponents, Akko decided to visualize better bow form of her Valkyrie Blade before finally settles with Bladed Bow form. Its appearance looked like futuristic version of Shiny Rod's bow form albeit with red and white coloration and smaller green orbs each connected by matching circuit lines that also goes their way to both ends of the bow's limbs. Its string also made of pure magic energy instead of normal string and true to this weapon form's namesake, the upper limb of the bow can form an energy green blade that can cut through solid materials on ease, which make the bow doubles as impressive melee weapon.
- Great Axe Form: For delivering destructive frontal attack. The axe form resembles Shiny Ax (Shiny Rod's Axe form) except it possesses glowing circuits instead of of orbs and has different color scheme. While very powerful, it less suitable to engage fast moving opponents and more emphasize destructive force.
- Round Shield & Baton Form: For defending herself from more powerful attacks.
- Kara Armor: As the honorary Valkyrie, Akko is given the title of Blazing Flame Kara. As such, she has the ability to don Kara armor for combating powerful adversaries. She performs this by running her palm against her Valkyrie Gauntlet while simultaneously chanting out Venta Herkleda, sending out magical sparks that spin above her head into a large circle through its friction. The formed circle opens a portal from which armor plates Kara armor composed of wrap themselves around her body, completing her transformation.
- Barrier Pauldron: Magical pauldron that can form a layer of protective magic around user's body. Whenever entering combat situations, Akko wear it to protect her from attacks inflicted by weaker enemies.
- Ursula Callistis/Chariot du Nord: Akko and Ursula become much closer after enduring hardships over the course of their quest for Grand Triskellion, which culminated to Akko and Diana successfully restored magic back to Midgard. As noted by her friends and other teachers, Akko often visiting Ursula in her free time. It's later revealed that Akko and Ursula are related as niece and aunt, something which they discovered when Yumi Kagari, Akko's mother, revealed to both of them that she is in fact, Elizabeth du Nord, Ursula's long lost older sister. The heartwarming reunion between her mother and mentor who turned out to be siblings all along not only made Akko happy, but also taught her the importance of family, which become her driving force to free Biri Biri and Lara from chain of misery that consumed them due to Thapoli-Naglfar War.
- Yumi Kagari/Elizabeth du Nord: Akko and her mother Yumi have close relationships, as Yumi had arranged so her daughter can attend Chariot's show and later, enroll at Luna Nova so she can become a witch like her idol Shiny Chariot. Upon discovering that Shiny Chariot is actually her long lost little sister, Yumi had no heart in telling her daughter about this as she wanted to do so once they are together. After receiving the latest letter from her daughter which tell her that her mentor, Ursula Callistis, is indeed Chariot du Nord herself, Yumi immediately set out to Luna Nova to tell the truth. Upon learning that her mentor and idol is actually her biological aunt, Akko was greatly shocked, but nevertheless overjoyed that her idol and mother are siblings all along.
Notes & TriviaEdit
- This version of Atsuko Kagari is confirmed to be biologically related to Ursula aka. Chariot as her niece.