Newt Astriddotir is a supporting character of Little Witch Academia: Witches of Midgard. She is a veteran Valkyrie who, under recommendation of Miranda Holbrooke, had chosen Chariot as the new heir of Geirdriful Armor and tasked to assist Luna Nova in combating Naglfar threat.
Personality & CharacterEdit
Newt is the latest bearer of Sigrun armor and the laidback captain of Alioth. Impressed by the young Chariot du Nord's magical skills, Newt chose the young witch as the candidate for the heir of both Geirdriful armor and title, and personally trained her under Miranda Holbrooke and Thapoli's instructions. As she took Chariot under her wing, Newt found another candidate in form of shady genius witch-blacksmith named Helviti and trained her as well. With Helviti being the most exceptional out of two, Chariot felt that Helviti more deserved to be the new Sky Valkyrie. Unfortunately, things didn't go well when Newt chose Chariot instead, much to Helviti's dismay. When Chariot demanded an explanation, Newt explained that Helviti doesn't have the heart of a protector, having sensed her hunger of power over the course of their training.
True to this, one day, Newt caught her meddling with forbidden magic to create weapons of mass destruction. The White Valkyrie attempted to persuade her apprentice to abandon the dark path she had taken, but her warning fell into deaf ears. Their argument escalated into an intense battle with Helviti confessed that she came to see her loyalty to Thapoli as an obstacle in her quest of obtaining true strength, and attempted to kill her mentor, the one who she deemed to be first obstacle to overcome in her pursuit for power. Fortunately, Chariot interfered the fight at the last moments and revealed herself to be true heir of Geirdriful Armor, much to Helviti's fury. An intense battle between rivals ensued, which ends with Chariot emerged victorious. The new Sky Valkyrie and her mentor then demanded Helviti to surrender, only for the rogue Valkyrie-in-training to retreat with her research notes. During that commotion, her Spear of Torment was destroyed, but Helviti managed to salvage its spearhead and some parts of its shaft.
In spite of Helviti managed to elude them and still at large, Newt and Thapoli officially appointed Chariot as new Sky Valkyrie and guardian of Luna Nova. The White Valkyrie even more than proud to Chariot upon learning that she was appointed by Woodward to unlock Seven Words of Arcturus in order to acquire World Altering Magic that can save magic community from obsolesce. Upon discovered that Chariot was tricked by her former best friend Croix Meridies to employ Dream Fuel Spirit that stripped her audience's magic power and later, failed in her quest for World Altering Magic, Newt chose to comfort Chariot instead of confronting her, knowing better her former apprentice's said failure was due to both burden from that quest and her responsibility as Valkyrie, and Croix had deliberately tricked Chariot for her selfish agenda. Newt blamed herself for not preventing Croix's treachery in spite of predicted it beforehand due to Croix's similarities with Helviti, and dismayed that Chariot began to question her worth as Valkyrie. But nevertheless, Newt respected her protege's decision to stop donning her armor until she able to set right what was wrong in the past, but reminded her that her strengths as Valkyrie would be needed one day.
Eight years prior to the events of Little Witch Academia: Witches of Midgard, Newt managed to track down Helviti where she and her fellow Alioth crew members found her former student at an abandoned military base in Norway which Naglfar repurposed into Eitr refining facility for creating more apollyons. There, Newt attempted to reason with Helviti for the last time in spite of knowing the chance of helping her return to the right path had been slimmed to none since her betrayal, in which Helviti replied she won't go back before attacked her former mentor. Having anticipating this, Newt not hesitate to put her life on the line to stop her former student before she could cause more damage. An epic duel between former student and mentor ensued, destroying much parts of the facility in process. Eventually, after a difficult fight, the White Valkyrie succesfully defeated Helviti. Though weakened, Helviti attempted to attack her mentor once again only for platform where they stood on collapsed, resulting her fell into a vat of eitr liquid and exposed to substance within whereas Newt was saved by Thekk at the last moments.
Knowing that overexposure to eitr would turn Helviti into much more powerful eitr walker, Newt hastily drained the vat to secure her former student's body. Before she could do so however, Helviti's lifeless body was spirited away by a horned witch (who is actually Hel) before her eyes. Newt and her crew would spent almost 3 years in tracking down the horned witch so they can verify Helviti's fate to no avail, and eventually gave up the search. In spite of this, Newt knows that Helviti will return one day, which confirmed true after learning Helviti's latest appearance at the construction site in Blytonbury.
Skills & AbilitiesEdit
- Peak Human Conditioning: Newt's rigorous training as a Valkyrie greatly enhanced her bodily functions to the pinnacle to human conditioning, resulting her strength, stamina, speed, senses, agility, reflexes, accuracy, longevity, durability, intelligence, healing time, and flexibility greatly enhanced to peak level arguably on the same level with her pupil Ursula.
- Magic: As expected from a Valkyrie, Newt is trained in magical arts.
- Craftmanship Magic: Newt possesses decent skill in craftmanship magic, having repaired Sloegra and Hrista armors that previously destroyed during Thapoli-Naglfar War and even improved them for Constanze and Jasminka respectively.
- Flight Spell: Newt possesses impressive skill in broom flight.
- Lightning Magic: Newt excels in magically manipulate electricity and lighting, able to fire powerful magic blast and bolts as well as imbuing her weapon with the said element.
- Object Control Magic: Helviti can magically move objects without touching them with her wand as focus.
- Skilled Combatant: Being latest heir of Sigrun Armor, Newt has mastered Thapolian Martial Arts as part of her training to claim it in her youth. She also able to hold her own against powerful fallen Valkyrie Helviti in spite of the Dark Valkyrie was more powerful to her.
- Polearm Mastery: Newt is fairy skillful in using swordspear form of her Valkyrie Blade.
Tools & EquipmentEdit
- Magic Wand: Newt carries a wand as instrument to cast magic.
- Valkyrie Blade: Traditional weapon of Valkyries which can be activated by magically combine it with a magic wand. Newt can change her Valkyrie Blade into a black and white futuristic swordspear with meridian green glow for combat.
- Sigrun Armor: As the master Valkyrie, Newt is given the title of Sigrun the White Valkyrie. As such, she has the ability to don Sigrun armor for combating powerful adversaries. She performs this by running her palm against her Valkyrie Gauntlet while simultaneously chanting out Venta Herkleda, sending out magical sparks that spin above her head into a large circle through its friction. The formed circle opens a portal from which the armor plates Sigrun Armor composed of descend and equips on her, completing the transformation.
- Barrier Pauldron: Magical pauldron that can form a layer of protective magic around user's body. Whenever entering combat situations, Newt wear it to protect her from attacks inflicted by weaker enemies.
- Customized Flying Broom: Newt's customized magic broom which outfitted with armor platings and gears for broom flight combat. The broom's modification also enables it to better in carrying two people at once, which useful for her former apprentice Ursula who still affected by Wagandea Pollen.
Notes & TriviaEdit
- Newt's hairstyle is loosely modeled after Lalaco's from Space Patrol Luluco.